An oriental rug can transform the look of your home and apartment. These rugs are meticulously crafted from Southeast Asia, India, Turkey, and Iran to name just a few. When you invest your money in a beautiful oriental rug you want to be sure that it looks clean and fresh for as long as possible. Here is a step by step oriental rug cleaning guide that will keep your rug looking and smelling fresh.
1. Your rug will pick up dirt and debris from the bottom of shoes that come in contact with it. Even though it may look clean it may be full of contaminants that have attached themselves to the fibers of the rug. Cleaning your rug at least once a month is the absolute minimum. If you notice a stain on the rug it must be addressed immediately so it does not set in and cost you a tremendous amount of money to have that area repaired.
2. If you have heavy traffic on your rug you should vacuum it at least once a week to keep it fresh and clean. Begin vacuuming one side first until you have covered the entire rug. If you can lift a corner up and hit it with your fist and still see a cloud of dirt that means you need to vacuum again. Be certain to vacuum both sides of the oriental rug.
3. To clean your rug you will need to create a mixture of one part vinegar and three parts water. This will ensure that the vegetable dyes used to create the rug is not damaged or discolored. Never use a soapy cleaner on an oriental rug because there is no way to 100% remove the soap without soaking the rug with a garden hose. This oriental rug cleaning mixture will help your rug to smell fresh, look fresh, and last much longer.
4. Place the vinegar mixture in a plastic spray bottle and gentle spray the entire area of the rug without soaking. Let the Pasadena rug repair dry thoroughly.
5. Spray the mixture on to the fringe area of the rug and work in the solution with a very soft brush. Mimic the motions of brushing your hair as you gently stroke the fibers of the oriental rug. Do not use the vinegar mix on white or cotton fiber fringes or you run the risk of turning them yellow or brown.
6. Take a small fan and place it on the floor near the rug to dry the solution faster. Leaving a wet oriental rug on a hardwood floor can attract mold and mildew. Never hand a wet rug on a clothing line to dry or you run the risk of the colors running. If your rug is dry to the touch but still damp you can let it dry on the clothing line.
With over 70 years of experience serving greater Houston area, Bagdad oriental rug’s team of rug cleaning professionals are equipped to provide Pasadena residents with the most convenient rug cleaning and rug repair services. Call us today to learn more about our rug washing and rug repairing services…we look forward to helping you make sure your rugs look their very best!